Monday, November 5, 2007

Houston Quilt Festival

I have just come back from the Quilt Festival in Houston, Tx. The quilts were absolutely amazing and inspiring. I went on Thursday and on Saturday. I heard a rumor there were about 53,000 people at the show. It didn't seem that crowded most of the time though. There were people there from all over the world. I met a few of the ladies staying in my hotel that came on a bus from Iowa. I walked from the train with a few women from Virginia and Maine. Everyone was extremely friendly!

Every possible type of vendor was there. not just fabric and patterns, although there were quite a few of those. I was surprised by the number of booths with embellishments, beads, trims, paints, buttons. I knew they would be there, but there were so many. I was pretty good and bought just a little bit of this and a little of that. My favorite finds were some fabric for a quilt for my sister that is getting married. Black Batik is very hard to find. I also thought I would try the fusible stabilizer for turning applique. I'll let you know how it works out.

If you plan to go next year, I would certainly plan a few days. I did not have time to get around to all of the quilts on display and I would have like to have spent more time shopping. Of course wouldn't we all like more time for that.

No comments: