Saturday, December 29, 2007

Inspiration

Inspiration is a funny thing. It can come at the strangest moments, as I am driving down the road or while I am exercising. It also can take many forms. Sometimes I just get an idea for a series of colors, sometimes an object is the beginning of a quilt. I never really know how the next one will start.

I saw a wall hanging in a shop when I was in Seattle, WA a few weeks ago. It was an embroidered and beaded piece of fabric that came from a ceremonial robe. I was amazed at the amount of work that went into creating it. I did not take a picture of it. I do not want to copy it. I keep thinking about it though. The one aspect that keeps returning is the use of tiny mirrors in the design. They were sewn down across the corners. I've never seen mirrors used as an embellishment, but I am ready to give them a try. Well, as soon as I come up with a design that can use them. It will come. I'll probably wake up in the middle of the night, or have to stop my morning workout to sketch it out.

Keep your mind open and the ideas will flow. If I try to work to hard at it I will have writer's block, staring at a blank piece of paper. I am sure it is turning over in my subconscious, working out the details.

1 comment:

Not Lucy said...

Have you thought about using the mirrors for the quilt of the glistening trees? (March 5, 2008) It could work.