Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Baby Quilt

It's finished. I love it. Seems funny to be saying that. Now, let me explain. I have been asked to make a baby quilt for someone. As I'm sure you know, there were some requests and requirements. I could design the quilt, but it had to be in yellow and white. No other colors. I was very concerned. It's not that I have a problem with a monochromatic design. They can be amazingly beautiful. I was concerned about the amount of contract you can get with yellow and white. I designed the quilt. I thought it would be OK. I bought the fabric, I thought it might be boring. I added Minkee to the top to give it some texture and interest. I think it came out great. The Minkee is so very soft. The backing is traditional cotton. I might even do this again! (I am glad it was just a baby quilt though)

I felt the need to move into a little color. I have a throw planned for Diane Next Door using the Loralie panel we purchased, but first a small tote bag. I have been eyeing this fabric at my local quilt store, trying to decide what to make of it. I decided a tote would be great (with a little extra fabric to go into something later). I knew I wanted to use my favorite green. It wasn't in the baby quilt or the red lotus flower quilt. I had been feeling some of those withdrawal symptoms, sweaty palms, the whole thing. The pattern is from Lazy Girl Designs. The bottom of the bag was solid black, until I started quilting that is. The lining is that wonderful green. It's almost too bright, but I shouldn't loose anything in there. I had some decisions with the handles. I was going to use a pair of wooden handles I had lying around, but they were too small. I also had a pair of vinyl longer handles, the ended up being too narrow. In the end I decided to make the fabric handles. I love it! Now I can move on to those crazy ladies from Loralie and then maybe that Halloween quilt...

Check out the Benartex website when you get a minute. www.benartex.com My Floral Delight quilt is on the front page!



Here's what the little boys have been up to.




No comments: