Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Binding I am Going

I am deep in Quilt Market preparation mode. I looked at the calendar yesterday and realized there are only four weeks left. YIKES! I am not really in a time crunch yet, but those dates kind of sneak up behind me and shout BOO. I have most of my new designs made and quilted, but quite a bit of binding to do still. It looks like several nights in from of the television, hand sewing the binding. Hmmm, that does not sound so bad.

I was out at the North East Crazy Quilter's Quilt Show today and helped serve (and taste test) pie. There were some amazing quilts on display. I'm sorry I didn't bring my camera. I did a little shopping though and picked up the Sewline Fabric Pencil. Now this looks really cool. It is a mechanical pencil with a ceramic lead that is used to mark fabric. The lead comes in a a variety of colors, white, yellow and green. You can also buy the eraser refills. I have used white and yellow pencils for ever, but they always need sharpening and you have to compensate for the thickness of the lead when you are using them with a ruler. I know there are pens available also, but they always seem to dry our before I think they should. I think I'll need at least one more of these so I can have a white and a yellow available at all times.


What else have I been trying out? I have a small sample of Quilter's Dream (http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/ )new Orient batting. It is a blend of silk, bamboo, botanic tencel and cotton that has a beautiful hand. It is machine wash and dry so I am thinking it will do wonderful in a new jacket. My plan is Simplicity 2858, using the Wilmington Essentials print. I know the pattern is not a quilted jacket, but I am going to quilt the outer shell anyway. I will have to quilt the fabric and then cut out the pieces to make sure the fit is correct. There is always some shrinkage when a fabric is quilted. I am only going to quilt the outer fabric to the batting. I will construct the lining as directed so I do not have to finish the seams. I will let you know how it all turns out. I have to finish my samples for market first.

No comments: