Tuesday, February 1, 2011

So Many Projects...

We have all said it..."So may projects, so little time." I've been trying to finish up a few things that have been hanging around. I think I need to make a resolution this year to finish so many projects. I just have to decide what that number should be. What a question! I think I have just been too distracted this last year to finish anything but a few tote bags..ok maybe a table runner or two as well. So here is a potential list of projects that should be finished.

I finished my sister's wedding quilt, Red Lotus Wedding. This was a joint effort with one of my other sisters. It is only slightly overdue (We won't talk about when the wedding was). The finished quilt is king size. Thank goodness I had the long arm to quilt it with. My shoulders are no longer up to quilting a bed size quilt on my sewing machine. This one is finished, done an ready to be mailed!

Of course, I'm much better at starting things than finishing them. I needed something bright to cheer me up since the days have been a little gray. Gray by Florida standards that is, but it's as good an excuse as any. So I have been practicing my pineapple blocks and turning them into flowers while I dream of spring. In the end the quilt should be throw size. I just have to decide what I want to do for sashing. I have already put the blocks together and taken them apart again once. I guess that's how that UFO pile keeps growing.

I started a Christmas table centerpiece. This one has been moving right along. I am paper piecing the log cabin blocks because their finished size is 4". Nine blocks of nine. I have 6 blocks finished. I am using the Benartex Peppermint and Holly Berries fabric. So cute! This project does not take much concentration so it has been a good late night project. I am one of those morning people every one hates. I get up at 5 every day (yes, Saturday and Sunday too). Sorry, I can't help it. The downside is I am falling asleep on the couch at 9:00 at night. I need a low concentration project after dinner or I will just have to take it out again and start over.

At the other end of the spectrum I have another flame quilt I am working on. This one is a one-of-a-kind project for a good friend. The flames are pieced, not appliqued. This is a new technique for me. I have drawn out the flames, transferred them to freezer paper. Cut out all the little pieces and sewn them back together again. I have had some issues with the bias and the finished pieces. I believe it is a matter of how the pieces are cut out. I need to pay a little more attention to the grain direction of the fabric. You'd think I would know that by now.

Those are my short term goals. Of course there are many other little projects hanging around waiting for my attention. Maybe I'll alternate on old project, one new project. Or maybe not.

No comments: